Establishing a daily dental routine solidifies good habits at a young age. Kids Dental recommends the following for effective homecare:
- Brushing: Brush for two minutes twice daily. For children under the age of 3 use a smear of toothpaste about the size of a grain of rice. For ages 3 to 6 a pea-size amount is recommended.
- Flossing: Teeth should be flossed daily with a particular focus where the teeth do not have open contacts. Child flossers are usually the easiest way to floss for your child.
- Nutrition: A healthy diet is critical to cavity prevention and includes guidance for solids and liquids:
- 3 meals and 2 snacks per day
- Drink only water between meals
- Mouthguards: A properly fitting mouthguard can greatly decrease the risk of dental injury during sports and other physical recreation. Learn more about Kids Dental’s mouthguard recommendations here.
- Cavity Risk Quiz: Our cavity risk quiz is an easy way to assess your child’s cavity risk evaluating some of the more common risk factors.