Fluoride is a mineral that is often naturally present in well and spring water. Fluoride is utilized in a variety of ways to decrease cavity risks and can be applied as in-office fluoride treatment. If parents desire an in-office treatment it is completed by painting fluoride varnish, a sticky fluoride-containing paste, on the teeth.
Benefits of Fluoride
- Fluoride significantly decreases the risk of cavities
- Fluoride can decrease tooth sensitivity
- Can heal cavities that have started but have not yet caused permanent damage
- Strengthen tooth enamel defects or places where the tooth has poorly formed
- Helps prevent cavities for those with higher cavity risk